Monday, February 4, 2013

Open Letter letter opener (aka a butter knife)

Well my Tender Lumplings it seems 2013 is well on it's way.  January passed without incident and February is upon us.  Big things are afoot already for this year, big plans and a couple of little trips already booked.  It would seem this is going to be a musical year, at least the first bit of it.  Tickets have been bought for concerts and I have already been to one bar to see a couple of bands play.  I do so love live music.  I would really like to play live myself again sometime and I may.  Someday.

I am also in the mood to write again.  Not just here for you my dearies, but other things.  Maybe I'll attempt it again.  I gave it up for a while, figuring nothing would come of it.  And nothing did so I guess I was right.  But now I may try again.  What has me in the mood you ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  I've been reading a book or two about one of my heroes, one Mr. Kurt Vonnegut.  Seems that though he was a great writer he was also a very bad writer.  I'll explain.

He spent nearly twenty-five years without a successful career as a writer.  From the time he came home from the war, until he published Slaughterhouse Five in 1969, he struggled to support himself and his family with writing.  He didn't support them actually.  He sold a couple of books that were not big hits.  He sold a lot of short stories but they didn't pay very well.  He had to take all sorts of other jobs.  He even  opened a Saab dealership.  Not that is desperation if I ever heard it.  And he was bad for taking forever to finish stories.  So, even though what he wrote was genius, he was not very good at the actual writing part.

And neither am I.  I am terrible at making myself write.  Even when I want to I find some reason not too.  The main reason being I know that when I do make myself write, it sure as heck isn't going to turn out to be a work of genius when it is done.  At least Mr. Vonnegut had that to look forward to when his stories were finished (though he probably wouldn't have said his work was genius either, but it was).

One of the books I've been reading is a collection of letters Vonnegut wrote during his life to friends, family and other people.  Even some to companies and newspapers.  This has gotten me to thinking about this blog and how I can use it.

Now the blog is, in it's own way, a sort of open letter.  Anyone can read it and it is usually a way for someone to set forth their ideas and opinions.  That is just what I've been doing.  And most of my entries have had some sort of theme or topic to each one.  But I have never really formally addressed them to anyone.  That is about to change.  The next few (or maybe several, we'll see how this goes) posts will be address, openly, to someone or something and then I will go about letting everyone know what I think.  I may not always be critical of the topic, I may be very supportive.  Or I may rip them a new one.  Again, we shall see.

So, stay tuned my dear Lumplings for my next post.  And if you know anyone in the Hawaiian Pineapple Growers Association, let them know they are in for it.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment