Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Soul Intention Is Learning To Fly

I do not believe airplanes should be able to fly.  I don't.  It just seems wrong to me.  I have read the physics, I've seen the math and I know it all works out.  But when I look up and see a hunk of metal the size of a house sailing over my head it just seems wrong.  Especially when they are very low and still seem to be going so damn slow.  And somehow all I can think about while watching one pass over me is imaging seeing a puff of flame come from one of the engines, then the sound changes ever so slightly.  Then it starts to fall.

Actually, my Tender Lumplings, I've been on a bit of a science kick lately after having watched the new COSMOS series.  It has gotten me reading about scientists and calculus and a bunch of other stuff.  And has re-ignited my interest in electronics.  I was always fascinated by the subject but could never really get my head around it.  I'm still not doing very well but at least now I have begun to understand some basics. 

Science is really such an amazing thing.  To think of how far we as a species have come in just a couple thousand years since we really started questioning our world.  For countless eons before we had just existed, hunting and gathering, barely even able to communicate with the person next to us much less someone on another continent.  We were just a bunch of dirty monkey men not long out of the trees.  But then someone said "why?' and everything changed. 

It went pretty slowly those first many years.  Our bodies had evolved to be much as they are today, but maybe our brains had not?  It was only in the last few hundred years that we really started to make some headway.  And in the last century alone we have gone from being tied to the ground and pulled along on carts by other animals, to walking on the moon.  In just the last twenty or so years we have taken all the computing power that it took to put men on the moon and condensed it down to the size of a wristwatch.  Think about it: the early supercomputers were housed in buildings the size of apartment complexes and yet were orders of magnitude less powerful than the processor inside your smart phone.

Where will technology be in 20 more years? 

Sci Fi writers have been much more effective at predicting the future than Nostradamus was.  In the early fifties, Isaac Asimov's novel Caves Of Steel predicted Netflix.  Some say a scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey predicted tablet computers and the Internet.  Today's writers, taking all our modern technological wonders as the norm, are coming up with even more outrageous ideas about what tomorrow may bring.  And, frankly, it can be both exciting and terrifying. 

Still, I will cling to my original statement:  I do not believe airplanes should be able to fly. 
Until next time, my Tender Lumplings, I remain your humble Narrator...

No comments:

Post a Comment