Thursday, October 1, 2009

Beware of Angels with knives.

I often dream of the same places over and over. I have for years. They never change and only a few of them have anything to do with real places. I've given some of them names. Among the usual places are The Motel, The Top Of The Mountain, The Forest, and a rather odd version of my hometown. I say odd because it is laid out just like my hometown but it is different in one major respect: there are people there. Oh, there are people in my hometown but not like they are in the dreams. The dream version of my town is bustling with activity. There are stores downtown, alot of them, and the people walk the streets going into the shops. The movie theater is still a movie theater and shows all the big movies. Down the street near the bridge is a really great toy store full of wonders. The opposite end of the street is mostly restaurants, not empty houses and one old Methodist church like in the real world.

Some day I'll draw out a map of the dream version of my hometown but that is for another day. Right now what I wanted to talk about is another of the places I dream about: The Top Of The Mountain.

Let me begin by saying this: nothing good ever happens on The Top Of The Mountain. The basic setting is an area at the top of some mountain possibly in a national park. There is a large parking area and an overlook. All pretty normal and harmless. Then there is the building. It looks like most of the little building one finds in parks. The sort of place that might have an information desk, some displays of local wildlife, a park map and maybe even a little theater showing a 6 minute movie about whatever civil war battle was fought near by. Sometimes, depending on the dream, this place has all those things too. But not always. When it does you can be sure the map will never show "you are here" and never, never watch the movie.

There is one feature of the building that is always present no matter what else is there and that is The Cave. Just inside the door of the building there is a ramp that goes down to the left. I assume this is to allow easy access for the wheelchair bound. There is a railing on one side and the ramp turns to the right after a bit. This is the entrance to The Cave. It is a sort of display or diorama. It is a natural opening in the side of the mountain and inside they have set up a scene depicting native American life or something. I'm not really sure because I can never really look directly into The Cave. I have learned, or at least the dream version of me has learned, not to even go down there. But there is something in The Cave. It is not good. It's large and white and can destroy anything it contacts. I don't think even your soul could escape it.

Last night I visited The Top Of The Mountain and the building. I was there with some friends and we were making some sort of movie or video. The building housed some shops and a small cafe. The ramp was there but I stayed away. When we were done with our movie and packing up, one of the crew, a man named Angel, pulled out a box cutter and started stabbing my friends. I ran out and saw another friend coming toward me from the parking lot. As he turned to go into the building I saw he had already been stabbed. His back was soaked with blood. I found my car and fled. A rather tamed night considering some things that have happened on The Top Of The Mountain.

Nothing good happens on The Top Of The Mountain.

Pray, my Tender Lumplings, that I never tell you about The Motel.

No comments:

Post a Comment